Clomicalm for Dogs
Is your dog often nervous? Does it show signs of anxiety that may hinder your pet being able to enjoy its daily routines? Below are some of the most common signs of anxiety to watch out for in your dog.
- Common symptoms include shaking, barking, drooling, whining, and other destructive behaviors. These can be seen in conjunction with conditions like separation anxiety or may just be natural behaviors for your pet.
- Your dog can also suffer from anxiety associated with certain types of stimuli. For example, if your dog hears loud fireworks or if there is a thunderstorm occurring, your dog may show symptoms of fear and anxiety related to the situation.
Clomicalm or Clomipramine
Clomipramine or Clomicalm is a prescription drug that is used to treat symptoms associated with conditions like anxiety, depression, and even obsessive compulsive disorder. It’s an antidepressant that helps increase serotonin levels in the brain so that mood can be balanced. It can also help treat aggression in pets.
Before Giving Your Dog Clomicalm
If your dog shows symptoms of anxiety, then you may be considering trying out clomicalm for your pet. However, make sure to consult your veterinarian about it first. The medication is available in various doses, which will depend on your dog’s current condition. Consulting a veterinarian will help you determine the right dose for your pet.
Nonetheless, make sure to start with a small dose first and increase from there. The reaction of your pet to the medication will determine the dosage you will be giving. This way, you will lower the risk of bad side effects that may come with the medicine.
Things to Keep in Mind
If you are planning on giving your dog Clomicalm, it is important to make sure that your dog hasn’t taken the following medications for the past two weeks:
- Monoamine oxidase
- A Preventic tick collar
Common Side Effects of Clomicalm
Just like any other medication, Clomicalm will also have certain side effects on your dog. When you give your dog clomicalm, it is important to observe whether your dog suffers from any issues that may lead to emergencies. It is also important to take note of allergic reactions from taking the medication. Symptoms may include issues such as swollen lips. As a pet owner or parent, it is important to make sure that your pet is healthy and, thus, be aware of the possible side effects of Clomicalm. Below are some of the most common symptoms:
- Lethargy and drowsiness
- Dry mouth and eyes
- Nausea, panting, or headaches
- Loss of weight and appetite
If your dog also shows signs of the following, then you should take it to the veterinarian immediately:
- Trouble breathing and irregular heartbeat
- Hives and seizures
- Fever, muscle weakness, and swelling of lips, tongue, or face
Lastly, never give your pet Clomicalm if your dog has the following medical conditions:
- Liver or kidney disease
- Asthma and/or diabetes
- Thyroid disease
- Digestive or intestinal problems
- Heart condition
- High blood pressure