Safety Tips for Walking your Dog at Night
If you’re a new dog owner or just a dog owner that wants to start walking their pet at night as well, then you may need to note down all the important information in this article. Walking your dog at night might seem like a huge challenge at first, but it can be quite calming and fun as you start to do it regularly.
Make sure your dog is willing to have a walk at night. If your dog is one of those pets that don’t really like having a walk at night, then don’t force your dog. Notice any symptoms that show you irritability or uneasiness during the walk. If your dog doesn’t like it, then don’t go for it.
As for the safety reasons, make sure you and your dog are visible enough in case anything happens. Even if you think that you have your dog with you and you’re safe, still there can be a few problems. So, try to be careful on that one.
Following are some safety tips you should know when walking your dog during the nighttime:
At night, you have to be aware of your surroundings. Ensure that you are visible enough. By doing so, you’ll be even safer and your dog can feel a lot more comfortable. To make things easier try buying the following things for your dog to have enough visibility:
- Make it visible. Try focusing more on making your current leash visible. You can make your dog’s leash visible by covering it all with white duct tape. If you have a sparkly duct tape in a bright color, then it would be better. If you don’t want to change your dog’s leash, you can either buy ready-made collars that are more likely to show visibility. Since visibility matters a lot during the dark, your dog might need other things as well to feel more relaxed.
- Buy a light-up or a reflective collar. Guess what? As you might know by the name, there are even collars in the pet store that lit up whenever you need to turn on the light. If you can’t afford to buy a new one, you can either cover your dog’s leash or collar with reflective tape. Other than that, reflective collars and light-up collars are highly useful- especially if your dog likes to run away from you.
- Try adding a light. Could we forget telling you to add lights? No. Adding lights can be a lot more useful since they make your dog visible enough for you. This way, your dog won’t get lost during the nighttime either. Not only that, your dog might work as a nice torch.
- Add a vest. If it is winter right now where you are living, then you may want to warm things up. Since it’s very cold during the night, you can add a reflective vest. If you have a simple vest at home, you can just try it too. At least, your dog won’t shiver. Besides that, sparkly vests can come in handy as well.
- Carry a flashlight. Why you should carry a flashlight with you? Well, you need to be more visible to cars. Of course, you don’t have to bring a real flashlight with you. You can either turn the flashlight of your phone on.
- Protect your pet. Make sure you protect your dog from mosquitoes, as they can be quite annoying for your dog. Use a natural product to repel the mosquitoes, so both you and your dog are totally safe.
- Remember to take your phone. Don’t leave your phone home thinking that you want to spend some time with nature. Have your phone with you, so you have a flashlight, to say the least.
- Stick to familiar and well-lit areas. Don’t go to places that you think might make you feel overwhelmed. If your dog starts barking and it seems like something is wrong, don’t go there. Stick to places that you are familiar with. Well-lit areas the best to go to.
- Check your dog’s tag before leaving. Make sure that your dog’s tag is fully up-to-date and there isn’t any missing information. This way you’ll find your dog again even if you lose its track.