Should Your Dog Should Drink Goat Milk?
Milk is an important part of a dog’s diet because it consists of a high amount of vitamins and minerals, which are essential for a dog’s nutrition. All kinds of milk, however, are not suitable for dogs, and a lot of pet owners are not aware of the dangers of giving the wrong kind of milk to their pups. A lot of domestic canines suffer from lactose intolerance, which means they have difficulty digesting regular milk. Some dogs may even suffer from more serious problems like intestinal inflammation or diarrhea.
What Are the Benefits of Giving Goat Milk to Your Dogs?
Since cow milk is the most consumed milk in the world, a lot of dog owners tend to give it to their pets as well. Traditional cow milk can be very dangerous for dogs because it can cause allergic reactions due to its protein content. The high carbohydrate content can also lead to very serious problems like diabetes, especially in older dogs. In comparison to cow milk, goat milk is a better alternative because it is considered to be universally tolerated by all mammals.
The first and most important benefit of goat milk is its digestive properties, which makes it ideal for lactose intolerant dogs as well. The probiotics in goat milk help support the growth of healthy bacteria in their digestive system. Other benefits include boosting the immune system and improving the breaking down of nutrients. Vitamins A and B in goat milk help maintain eye health and ensure proper metabolism along with hormone regulation. Protein is present in controlled amounts in order to provide amino acids, and calcium helps strengthen muscles and bones along with healthy blood clotting. Also, goat milk has anti-inflammatory properties and can help prevent or control the intensity of infections. Since it is highly digestible, your dog will rarely suffer from problems like diarrhea and vomiting. The chances of getting an allergic reaction to goat milk are also very minimal.
How Do You Feed Goat Milk to Your Dogs?
You can feed goat milk to your dogs as a stand-alone dish, but if they tend to get bored by the taste easily, you can try new and fun ways of feeding it to them. You can add it to their regular dog food and turn it into cereal. This will add probiotics, moisture, and added flavor to their everyday diet. When rehydrating freeze-dried food, you can use goat milk instead of water so that your puppies can enjoy better hydration and added nutrition. You can also replace yogurt with goat milk and add it to bone broth or peanut butter to make sure your dogs can enjoy the unique flavors. If your dog is a fan of puppuccinos, make sure you use whipped cream made from goat milk because regular milk can cause digestive issues. This can be a good treat for your pup on special occasions like birthdays.
How Much Goat Milk Is Safe for Your Dog?
Despite the numerous benefits of goat milk for your pup, anything in excess is bad and you need to make sure you are feeding controlled amounts to your beloved pet. A balanced diet is necessary, and goat milk is only a part of this entire diet. Follow the amount mentioned on the packaging of goat milk meant specifically for dogs, according to their age and weight. If you are giving goat milk daily, do not go above two ounces for every 20 pounds weight. Another way of measuring is to make sure that goat milk is only 10% of the pup’s daily diet intake, with the other 90% including proper dog food. If your dog shows any negative side effects, reduce the amount of goat milk or stop feeding it immediately.